Will You Be Ready When Disaster Strikes?
If a disaster strikes, will you be ready?
It is important to prepare before a disaster occurs; one way to do that is by building a basic emergency kit. The following items are recommended for your kit.
- Water, one gallon per person per day
- Food, non-perishable 3 day-supply
- Manual can opener
- Battery operated radio, preferably an NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert and extra batteries
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Whistle to signal for help
- Dust masks or bandanas
- Plastic sheeting, garbage bags, and duct tape
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities, if necessary
- Local maps
- Hygiene items
- Important documents such as copies of insurance policies, identification, and bank account information
- Fire extinguisher
Emergencies can happen anytime to anyone. Take action now to protect yourself and your property.