Have Fire Damage? Here's what to do next.
Home fires happen and it’s important to know your next steps if your affected by loss from a home fire. Cooking accidents, heating issues, and electrical malfunctions account for close to 70% of all residential home fires. An average of 358,500 homes experience a structural fire each year, according to the National Fire Protection Agency.
Most people needed fire damage repair in their homes after an accidental or unintentional fire, according to the latest statistics from the U.S. Fire Administration.
If you need fire or smoke damage repairs, there are some important steps to take before calling a professional fire and smoke restoration specialist to make your home safer. Note: The fire department determines whether it is safe to stay in your home or not.
Be Careful with Fire Damage
Often, with fire damage and smoke damage, there is also water damage hidden behind the walls from fire fighting efforts. After a fire, call a professional fire damage repair company to ease your worries and take care of all the heavy cleaning, drywall replacing, and mold and mildew preventative maintenance.
Be Smart and Be Safe after a Fire
- Make sure it’s safe to re-enter home or affected areas. First discuss safety with a fire marshal and ensure that it is safe.
- Wear and use protective clothing including rubber gloves, protective eyewear, and a face mask to prevent breathing any debris particles. Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Change HVAC filters.
- Avoid using your own household vacuum. Soot that has collected like dust requires a special vacuum.
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us or another fire damage restoration company.
- Be Safe and Smart. Don’t attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to heat, fire, or water without consulting an authorized and licensed repair service.
- Don't turn on electrical appliances affected by fire or water from firefighting efforts. If ceiling fixtures if ceiling are wet, then the wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may permanently set smoke odor in your clothing.
Even in small amounts– can be extremely dangerous even if the after effects are not immediately visible to you. Contacting a professional fire damage company helps ensure proper repairs to your property, as well as mold and mildew prevention.
24-hour emergency fire damage restoration services
We’re locally owned and operated and part of the Mecklenburg, Lincoln and Gaston communities. Our fire damage restoration technicians are employees, not contractors. They can respond to fire damage emergencies with the most advanced cleaning equipment, products and technology to get you back in your home. To learn more, call us anytime at (704) 393-7890 or request help online.